Saturday, December 7, 2013

Time Article There is no brain divison.

there is no right brain left brain divide

Stepping back a minute if one has a stroke one can clearly see divisions in the brain based on deficits presented. Often when a person has a stroke they are often unable to use an effected limb based on the contralateral brain injury. It seems more pertinent to me to say there is a dominant subordinate relationship that is expressed as one functionally.

In throwing a ball with my non dominant left arm what I have found it is not so much what the left arm needs to do to coordinate the throw but what the right arm needs to give up. Both sides work together to throw with the right arm but the final distal element of wrist hand fingers have a fine motor control role that is not comparable with the left hand. In throwing with the left arm I have to reverse the stabilization of my left shoulder to my right side allowing more freedom of scapular movement on the left. The fine motor control seems comparatively easier to achieve than the giving up of the habitual.

To use my left tongue musculature proximal to the hyoid bone I first have differentiate it  from the muscles on the right. Playing with them now I do not feel there is a comparable fine motor control on the left and right side, I think the left side can at least partially gain the fine motor control that will be expressed in speech with the left tongue.

It  feels to me that I never made left eye to left eye contact but would use the right eye to establish contact with another's right eye (Easy test -close your right eye and use your left eye to see another's left eye. Switch back and forth between your eyes taking time to feel what you do normally as you converse. On a simpler level interlock your fingers in a folded position then switch so the opposing index finger is on the outside. Which is more familiar? Can you feel a connection to your shoulders' position?) Where I think I used my left eye normally was in an unfocused way to the right side of a person's head. Now using my left eye to connect with someone else's left eye often gives me another perspective on that person. It is again harder to give up the habitual than it would seem. It feels almost if I am blind to a certain extent of seeing that person expressed on the left side of their head. I have to work hard at maintaining eye contact and even harder to understand what I see.

I am not saying lefties or righties are more creative or analytic but that there is a difference in perspective on how my I use my left and right side. I suspect that my discrepancy lies within a broad spectrum as compared to others.




No comments:

Post a Comment