Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What is the sound of one tongue talking?

The old zen koan occurred to me today as I was walking. I believe like elephants use of their trunk the high degree of control necessitates lateralization to one side of the brain. In elephants the lateralization is split 50/50 for left and right trunkers while humans it is 90/10 for right and left handers. As a society we benefit from most of us being right handed according to this study.

My normal is to talk with the right tongue dominant which include the sub tongue structures. It does not mean the left tongue cannot learn the specialization needed to create the sounds independent of the right tongue. Possibly like the zen koan to become aware of what is missing is the point.

PS I am very aware of my unenlightenedness and I am not suggesting this is a path for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment