Friday, May 9, 2014

Pick a side

Playing with my sublingual muscles and hyoid I find a discrepancy between the left and right side. An idea that Moshe Feldenkrais advanced was that to control the variations in movement some structures will be held relatively stable with other muscles relatively free. My left sublingual muscles were in a sense unknown to me and minor play with them seems to influence the more immediate structures first which then have an influence on structures and musculature progressively far away.  I feel I kept them more contracted through out my life in comparison to the right.

Unlike the elephants who lateralize their trunk control to either side I feel I must have picked the right side in response to how I perceived the people around me using their right side. I can not see the sublingual muscles but I think the the feedback of their right eye/face mouth to my right eye/face/mouth created the input to start the preference of communication to the right side. Once picked the development of the right progressed over the left side. The intrinsic muscles of the tongue are known to me in my understanding of how to move food around in the mouth so in sense the blog is misnamed. However somehow My Left Sublingual Muscles Too  seems an inferior pick. 

"There should be no advantage at all for preferring one hand or one foot because our world demands from us that both sides should be able to perform manipulations equally well," says Matthias Konstantin Laska, PhD, a biologist at the University of Munich who studies side preferences in new world monkeys. For example, a monkey grabbing for a banana would benefit from being able to choose the hand closest to the food, he notes. Additionally, localization of an ability to a particular area of the brain means an animal is more vulnerable to having that skill knocked out by a stroke or brain damage, notes Franziska Martin, PhD, a biologist at the Free University in Berlin.
Such apparent disadvantages to side preferences, notwithstanding, new research on elephants by Martin suggests there are also some benefits. She finds that limiting precise movements to one side of the body--and subsequently one-half of the brain--may lead to better muscular control, leaving the ambidextrous with less dexterity than animals who specialize.



No comments:

Post a Comment