Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Greetings from the left

I wish I was smarter and a better writer. (more handsome and moderately successful would also help but I digress) If so I could communicate what I am perceiving in a more accurate clear way.  Walking with my wife today pushing her on a bike path in a wheelchair. She walks with a walker first for a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Then I push her for about 2 miles at a leisurely pace. We greet many people on the left side as we stay to the right on the path. Since starting to work with the left tongue and trying to differentiate the left side of my face from my normal habitual right side dominance I feel I am greeting people in a more natural empathetic manner.  I think not being able to differentiate the left side of my face I was essentially pulling away on the left and greeting with the right side of my face. Now my sense of wishing others well with my smile is improved.  Instead of being afraid with my left side, by initiating the left smile, I drop my usual defensiveness and guarded position.

My left smile is also helping me differentiate between my left and right splenius capitis and associated musculature. For the first time in my life that I can remember the habitual tone on left side has changed for a moment or two.  The whole left upper quadrant has been of increased tone and a pulling away posture during my life. To smile and talk with the left tongue require a conscious inhibition of the habitual tone. The left tongue influences the left jaw which is tied to left lateral neck and from there to the posterior neck musculature. The right side is also influenced by the new position of the left.  It is often not the most pleasurable experience. It feels like almost if I am pushing and pulling the fascial structures around to the right from the usual bunched up position on the left. But it is not an active me pulling but a asking of the left to take it's more balanced position. There is also a feeling of vulnerability as in the sense I do not have a complete picture yet and it cannot be maintained more than a few moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment