Monday, December 10, 2012

Dominance

http://jdr.sagepub.com/content/82/4/278.abstract

In 10 subjects with an evident chewing-side preference, the BOLD signal change in the primary sensorimotor cortex was significantly greater on the side contralateral to the preferred chewing side. The results suggest that there is a relationship between hemispheric dominance and chewing-side preference in primary sensorimotor cortices responsible for tongue movements. 

I do not think this is what is going on with me. I am feeling muscular control on the left tongue that I never knew. In a sense it never existed. Yet my tongue did not deviate. I could chew, talk, move my tongue side to side and around my mouth but I think somehow the right claimed dominance over the whole tongue. I do not know the mechanism how. I think it is related to speech and how I related and relate to society. It is larger than just the left tongue. It also includes the throat. Pretty wacky idea. It is almost like there is a separate movement image that is silenced. The dominant image seems to orient my spine to prefer the right hand and side. I am not right handed but right tongued. I do not know what is going on inside someone else. I do not think I am alone but to generalize to all others does not feel correct.

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2012/04/left-handed-minority.html

They developed a mathematical model that shows the low percentage of lefties is a result of the balance between cooperation and competition in human evolution. 

 http://jn.physiology.org/content/92/4/2428.abstract 

 Approximately 60% of the subjects showed a strong functional lateralization of the postcentral gyrus toward the left hemisphere for swallowing, whereas 40% showed a similar activation bias for the tongue elevation task. This finding supports the view that the oral sensorimotor cortices within the left and right hemispheres are functionally nonequivalent.


No comments:

Post a Comment