Friday, December 21, 2012

The duality of the mind

Arthur Wigan

He also considered that one hemisphere, usually the left, was generally dominant; but he did not see the two hemispheres as differently constituted. 

He had a very organic view of  insanity basically one hemisphere of the brain was sick. He thought the brain hemispheres could be be interchangeable in case of illness. Reading his book it is almost like the unconscious was the less dominant hemisphere. One reason that his thought fell out of favor was the language center of the brain being in the left hemisphere. I am wondering since I am feeling my left tongue as a separate entity if I am influencing changes in my right cerebral hemisphere. Also if the language centers are largely learned in response to my environment.  I will have to do further reading.

Dr Jill Taylor's site

Her book is a very good read.  She had a stroke in her left hemisphere and watched her dominant hemisphere grow quiet and the feelings she had about the experience.

Neither of the above authors are saying what I am suggesting.


It feels like the left tongue is grabbing more and more space. Today my wife noticed something different with the left side of my face. Surprising to me as I thought things were just on the sensation level.  It feels like I have a left tongue that I had no previous motor sense of independent of the right tongue's dominance. I feel it is developing some independence and I am trying to figure out how to further it. I am writing right to left with the left hand. Reading right to left in the mirror. Focusing on the left side of faces that seem to communicate with both sides equally. Imagining lyrics in my head with the reverse orientation. Trying to use the left tongue in speech and song. It has a strong possibility of being a wild goose chase. However the changes that I feel already seem to extend to the spine. My left lower back is 'quieter" than it has been in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment