Friday, December 4, 2015

Mixed up?

I have posted the link to the study regarding elephants strong brain lateralization several times. The article suggests one sided lateralization is more functional in complex tasks. I feel that I do not use left half of my face/ throat/sublingual/tongue musculature in the same way as my right side counterparts. I think my left side somehow plays a subordinate role to the right side dominance so much so that I actually could not differentiate their movement in many but not all tasks. If there is a common drive that might explain to some degree what I feel.

Is there a functional reason to be one sided?   I don't know but an interesting quote from the article in reference to handedness.

In contrast to theories that center on the relative abilities of left- and right-handers, some researchers have focused on individuals with mixed, or no, hand preference. The idea that mixed-handedness and weak laterality are related to learning disabilities has a long history first proposed by . More recently, argued that the evolution of laterality is the key characteristic that allowed language and higher cognitive functions to develop. Individuals without a strong hand preference are thought to suffer from “hemispheric indecision,” which reduces academic ability and makes the individual more prone to psychotic disorders. Once again, evidence is mixed, with some researchers finding support for this theory () while others did not (). Recent large-scale studies, however, found lower levels of cognitive ability in mixed-handers.  used data from an IQ test administered in New Zealand as part of a nationwide television program. Data from 1,355 respondents revealed no difference in IQ between left- and right-handers. Mixed-handers, however, performed more poorly, especially on subscales measuring arithmetic, memory, and reasoning. Another large-scale study by collected data from 250,000 respondents using the Internet. Individuals who reported no hand preference for writing had significantly lower spatial ability and a higher prevalence of dyslexia, hyperactivity, and asthma than individuals with a strong hand preference.


My sense is that I am not so much right handed as I that I am organized to put the right side in a slight but significant position of advantage in most tasks, Including seeing others, eating, talking, writing, reading, walking, running, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment