Monday, December 14, 2015

Slughorn to my lips, again

I went to a very nice course yesterday by a teacher who is a practitioner based on the works of Moshe Feldenkrais.  She is a member of the guild and certified to start her own training program where people can be certified as a practitioner.  The advertisement for the course I took is below and I highly recommend taking one of her courses. I have done many lessons on the same themes but have not done a full day of movement lessons for some years now. I definitely need it with the limitations of my slug like life style making some of the simple movements and positions much harder than they needed to be. It was very nice to be reminded of the pelvis spine connection all the way to the base of my skull.

However my own take on the left and right tongue got in the way on my central issue on the use of my tongue. I still do not have a good representation of my left tongue as a separate entity from the right tongue unlike the sublingual musculature which has gained good measure of independence. Doing some of the more easier exercises with the tongue was difficult and my own thinking/feeling about it made it more complex. I feel that my own movement representation of my tongue is only right sided (left hemisphere dictated) with the left side representation is suppressed (neglected?) to the point of non existence. In other words I have a left tongue and right tongue, a left throat and right throat and to some degree it relates to jaw facial and eye musculature. Again if there is a common drive the movement representation may lay in the one hemisphere. There may be no benefit in attempting to do what I am trying to achieve and I would be far better off in attempting to develop my one representation of the tongue instead of questing for my dark tower. Even if I achieve my goal I don't see much translatable benefit for others.

What with my search drawn out thro’ years, my hope        20
  Dwindled into a ghost not fit to cope

On the other hand the movements relating to the spine in course reminded me in a way of what I feel in the use of the sublingual musculature. Starting one small movement in the left suprahyoid musculature the whole us of my head takes on a different sense. The upper cervical muscles, the left jaw lower face, left eye all come into a prominence that does not exist in my normal use. The way I turn my head has a different sense. My head musculature then can moves in a way that I could not have foreseen but only discovered. It is still somewhat painful, spastic and poorly controlled but has a definite 'left' feel about it.

Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
  And blew “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.”

Tally ho, of course there may be a fine line between fool's errand and noble quest.



By learning to recognize habits and patterns relating to how we use our eyes, tongue, jaw and breathing, we can experience limitless changes to improve our self-use, balance and posture. In his book, AWARENESS THROUGH MOVEMENT, Moshe titles chapter 10 "The Movement of the Eyes Organizes the Movement of the Body". This is significant: proper, efficient use of the eyes will radically change how you move, feel and go about your everyday activities- the quality of everything you do will improve. 
And, if your tongue and eyes are free, your neck will be free. In this workshop, using lessons in sitting, lying on the back, standing and on the belly, we will explore the inter-connectedness of movements of your eyes, tongue, jaw, neck and breathing.



No comments:

Post a Comment