Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Pot meet Kettle

Since I am not sure my ideas are scientifically sound I am hesitant about broadcasting them too much. I believe I feel a difference in the way I differentiate my left and right structures of my head, and that is tied into how I see the persona of others represented in themselves.  I keep finding examples to tie things together but at best they are weak anecdotes rather than a structural proof of what I believe. There is a great deal on the web that deals with outlandish claims and how do I throw out the good from the bad?

Most of my judgements are made within seconds and depend a great on my gut 'feel' on whether the issue is possible. Recently found some very clever 'flat earth videos'. They have very a great deal computer generated animation showing how the earth is actually flat and come up a with a pretty good story of how everything ties together. I spent a large part of the last two days trying to think of ways I could disprove their theories but my proofs are weak enough that a smart person could find a way to stump me with an alternate explanation (at least for awhile). I have navigated on a third mates license using the principles of celestial navigation but far more navigating was by rote technique than a good understanding of how everything tied together.  I think the flat earth is a bunch of BS but they would most likely feel the same way about my 'hypothesis'.

In one of my favorite books the author brings up the mythos over logos argument in that we live by myth but is overturned by knowledge but then absorbed by the mythos

The mythos-over-logos argument points to the fact that each child is born as ignorant as any caveman. What keeps the world from reverting to the Neandertal with each generation is the continuing, ongoing mythos, transformed into logos but still mythos, the huge body of common knowledge that unites our minds as cells are united in the body of man. To feel that one is not so united, that one can accept or discard this mythos as one pleases, is not to understand what the mythos is.

I am sincere about my 'hypothesis'. I am not sure it is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment