Friday, December 11, 2015

Ugh

The annoying thing about reading scientific articles is that they often lead to conclusions that lead in the opposite direction from my own thinking. Skimmed several articles today. Found one that suggested by trying to convert left handers to right handers made part of the dominant hemisphere stronger(left hemisphere, right side control).  It may also points to large degree of superficiality in my thinking.

The second article matches my perception about my left and right side to some degree. As a generalization I feel my left side takes on the stabilization role to a large degree to put the right side in a slight position of advantage where it has more freedom of movement. I think what the article suggests it that the non- dominant side related better to unforeseen loading during the experiment.

When I see people in the distance I often try to see the persona expressed in their left half of face. I feel there is a postural shift involved. I have to relate left side to left side. It does not matter so much what they are but how I perceive them. So it may be possible I am doing the opposite of what I think and making myself more right sided left hemisphere dominant. Or maybe I am making my left side the dominant side with more right hemisphere input. I don't know.


Quote from first article

 In summary, the reorganization patterns found in converted left-handers point to two distinct neuronal correlates of handedness in executive and associative sensorimotor cortices. Although the executive representations in SM1 and caudal PMd are more flexible and can be influenced by preferred hand use throughout life, representations in higher-order sensorimotor areas of the dominant hemisphere (i.e., in the inferior parietal cortex and rostrolateral PMd) cannot be switched by educational training. Indeed, these higher-order representations are paradoxically strengthened by attempts to switch handedness for writing.

Quote from second article


These results indicate more effective load compensation responses for the nondominant arm; supporting a specialized role of the nondominant arm/hemisphere system in sensory feedback mediated error correction mechanisms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment