Monday, April 15, 2013

Learning to be right

I think I learned to be right handed.

I do not think I use the musculature of my face, eyes, tongue and throat symmetrically. I think I learned to make a connection right eye to right eye. By mimicking with feedback I learned to use the right side of my face to a greater extent than my left side.  Fairly recently, I became aware that I do not even really see a persons left side of the face. Of course if my attention is brought to it I see it but that is not how I relate to others.  The more I play with using my left eye to see another's left eye and side of face the more I become aware of my normal discrepancy. Using my left eye to see another's left eye changes my normal sense of the use of my head and neck.

There may be a cultural advantage for the individual and society for most to be right handed.


Cooperation favors same-handedness -- for sharing the same tools, for example. Physical competition, on the other hand, favors the unusual. In a fight, a left-hander in a right-handed world would have an advantage.
Abrams and Panaggio turned to the world of sports for data to support their balance of cooperation and competition theory. Their model accurately predicted the number of elite left-handed athletes in baseball, boxing, hockey, fencing and table tennis -- more than 50 percent among top baseball players and well above 
10 percent (the general population rate) for the other sports.,,,

Identical twins, who share exactly the same genes, don’t always share the same handedness.

How could identical twins be opposite handed? If one of the twins did not make the connection that the other did. It would probably be a fairly rare occurrence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment