Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Nice edition of Nat King Cole singing about da Vinci's Mona Lisa.  Leonardo often wrote in script with his left hand right to left (mirror writing). I have tried it and it is surprisingly easy and more natural to write this way with the left hand. My sense is that it may be the natural direction for the right cerebral hemisphere is to track and anticipate to the left. When I try to see Nat king Cole's eye with my left eye only even though his face is lit on his left my tendency is not to go there. In order for my left eye to track his left eye it has to relax and cross my midline.  In writing and reading right to left I first need to relax the left side so that I can extend over to the right and then expresses or read in a graduated way to the left. This inhibition or initial relaxation allows the lengthening of the left side musculature. Inhibition is a vital cognitive element in movement. To coordinate movement is both and active and inhibitory process.

Mirror writing in children with “mental retardation”, learning disabilities or dyslexia Over a century ago it was observed that “imbeciles” and children with learning disabilities often mirror wrote, and many of these children were left handed.



No comments:

Post a Comment